Thursday, June 25, 2009

Leap Year

The Dramione Awards

Round 5 Nominee

"Nobody needs anybody, Granger. They just want the point of pain."

Location: dmhgficexchange, (here)
Title: Leap Year
Author: basicaquatics or attica (?)
Rating: PG-13
Category: Best One-Shot

For some reason I held off on reading this fic... Like, the first time I opened it, I immediately backtracked to the Nom Page to find something else... I guess I figured it would be too long, or something I ought not start until I had enough time to read it on my computer instead of my Blackberry... Either way, I did read it, and I did like it!

The style is a bit... new to me. I'm one to pay attention to specifics, in grammar, and sentence structure... And along with that, the story itself was really different... I've done this in the past, focused a fic almost entirely on the characters and their characterizations, somewhat glazing over the backstory, and even the setting. In this case, I would have appreciated some more backstory, a lead-in or something. It almost comes off as AU, especially in the beginning...

But despite this, and the fact that it's PG-13, I did like it. It is nicely written, and it's definitely deserving of the nomination!

Pros: Well written, really different, and rather quirky in spots!
Cons: Confusing structure for those who don't understand the pacing, very little backstory, comes off as AU often, maybe even AH...

0 comments:

Love is...
© Blogger - Template by Blogger Sablonlari - Font by Fontspace